August 28, 2014

Rebuilding the Deck- Part 3


We're going to have to rename this series "The Longest Deck Build Ever."  If you recall the plan was just to build an addition to our deck, and reface the entire thing so it looked consistent, but instead we had to tear down the old one to save it from prehistoric-sized ants and then rebuild it.  After a few months without the deck, in the most beautiful weather Minnesota can see, we decided that the most important thing was to get the old portion of the deck usable again.  So we hung the ledger board for the expansion, which you can see extending out in the photo below, and then got to work with the new deck boards. 


We used composite decking with hidden under-mount screws.  While it wasn't hard, it was a pretty tedious process of laying in the dirt and screwing on the boards from underneath.  I aligned the boards with a spacer, and occasionally had to pull or push the board to get it into just the right spot before the Hubs screwed it in. 


While we took turns with the "below the deck" job, I seem to only have photos of the Hubs looking tough under the deck.


And me looking pretty lame sitting on top of it.



I did, for the record, assist him with handing down beer occasionally, which is a pretty important part of the project ifIdosaysomyself.


When we were a little over half way complete, the boys woke up from nap to discover that their dance floor had magically reappeared, so we took a dance break to celebrate.  It included a little of this...


And a little of this: 








Which is a perfect representation of my kiddos.  One who loves a stage and is always putting on a performance, and the other that charges head on exuberantly into life.  By the end of the day we happily completed the refacing of the "old deck" and it was amazing.




Sure, the rough ends are uncut, there are no railings and there are no stairs.  But there is space to dance, drink a cup of coffee and grill a burger, and that's all that really matters, right?



It felt like such a major hurdle to get to this stage, I'm going to ignore the fact that this looks like a pretty sorry after photo.  It's going to look amazing when it's all done you guys- you're going to have to trust me on this one.

August 25, 2014

Replacing the Carpet


I've mentioned from the beginning that this cabin reno was all about smart, affordable choices.  We're being really careful with the projects we tackle up here, and perhaps more importantly, with the money we spend.  This is a second home after all, and "just a cabin." (But really you guys, really, it's SOOOO much more than just a cabin!) So although recently we've had a bunch of big, higher end upgrades (New counters! New sink! New floors!) those budget splurges are a rare treat in the grand scheme of this overhaul.

In the category of "More Frugal Projects," is our recent carpet update.  To lay our gorgeous new wood floors throughout the main living space, we removed carpet from the Living Room and Dining Room (because we have children and that carpet under the table didn't stand a chance.) Both of those carpets were new and in great condition, they just didn't work with the space.  So we found them each a new home. 

You may recall that I recently spent hours of my life that I will never get back tearing out the shagtastic carpeting in our back bedroom.  (Labeled Bedroom 2)  You know, when I pulled up the stinky, old brown shag to reveal the jaw droppingly ugly green shag below?


And once I pulled all those layers of shag out, I had this nasty linoleum underneath? 



Well, once we removed this big chunk of new carpet from the Living Room:


We had installers lay it, with a new carpet pad, in Bedroom #2.


Obviously we have a pretty plain blank pallet here, but you guys- that's a success!  Remember when it looked like this?



Whoa!  I can't wait to start decorating this room.  But in the mean time, let's have another look at that beautiful, non-shag, non-moldy, non-stinky "new" carpet.


Our third bedroom got a carpet update too.  As you may recall, this is the new bedroom that we built where the old entryway of the house used to be.  So it sported this fun little splash of linoleum.


With a pretty wicked gold threshold separating the spaces.  (I swear that thing was attached with Super Glue.)



So I tore out the carpet in this room:


And then wrestled with the threshold for a longer period of time than I'd like to admit:


Until I had this nice, level surface:


Then we took the carpet that we removed from the Dining Room, and had it installed in this room, with a new pad.


You'll have to forgive me as this room is hard to photograph.  Obviously the biggest change still coming for this room is the removal of the door, and putting a window in it's place.  Once that's done this room will finally look like a bona fide bedroom. 

Here's a look from that soon-to-be-window back at the bed.  We've got some furniture placement and decor to figure out here.


We had the company that was out installing our new wood floors install the carpet at the same time, which saved money.  All we had to pay for was the new pad and labor.  I'm feeling pretty proud of our little switcher-roo if I do say so myself.  We didn't have to dump more into a landfill, we just reused what we had, and now have two newly carpeted bedrooms to show for it!  This little project is trucking along!