June 25, 2012

The Main Bath Reveal


Here it is, FINALLY- the Main Bath reveal.  Let me start by grossing you out with a few before pics:




Is the grout brown or just dirty?

So many light bulbs, such an ugly space

The rain shower mural in the tub. 

Disgusting (although clean in this photo) grout, caulk and mortar.


Goopy pink finish on the walls.

And now if you are still holding onto your morning breakfast, I give you the new room:


How about that sliding door I built?  I can't believe that it actually fit perfectly in the room, the first time.  That has to be a record for me.  I installed it with a sliding door track (the same one I used for my Master Bathroom Closet Doors.)


Along the bottom I installed a small dowel on the floor in the corner which fits into the grove I cut on the bottom of the door and will keep the door from pushing forwards or backwards.



I love that this dowel is completely hidden, and there's no bottom track on the floor that we'd have to step over.   This door will be open most of the time, but here's what it would look like when one of our kiddos wants to use the potty while the other brushes their teeth.

We didn't add a lot of accessories to this room as we wanted a natural, minimal feel, but this shower curtain and matching rug from West Elm, as well as this pair of dandelion photos we found at Ikea, are the perfect fit.


Here's a look back at both of the photos from the other side. Ryder loves to pick and blow "Dandies", so we thought these pictures not only fit the space, but were perfect in his bathroom. 


A peak at them through the mirror


I can't keep my hands off the recycled glass tile accent we added.  Seriously, I like to pet it.  It was a bit of a risk, but I think its neutral enough that it adds a lot to the room without being overpowering.




Some green glass accessories from Ikea add to the natural vibe of the space.


Another super fun detail that we added was lighting underneath the floating vanity, which not only accentuates the open floor space down there but provides a really cool nightlight to the room.  The lights are plugged into an outlet directly under the vanity, and that outlet is controlled by a switch right at the door so its just a flick of the switch to turn them on.


This matching step stool from Ikea was worth every penny ($24) to have a nice looking stool available for the kiddos that will likely be on on the floor in here for another 5 years or so.


While it's tricky to photograph this small space, the area above the toilet got some additional storage for towels, extra TP and baby wipes.  (A must in a kiddo's bath.)



And just so you don't have to scroll up and down, here's the direct before and afters:






I am so in love with this bathroom, its my favorite of all 3 that we accomplished in this house in the first year. I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned this, but whoever planned this house must have been a mom, because my other favorite room in the house, the Laundry Room is directly across the hall from the Main Bath.  Each night I can safety keep an eye on my little guy in the tub while getting some time in the Laundry to load up and fold a basket or two.  It doesn't even feel like work, and now I get to stand in one beautiful room and look across to the other.  (With the bonus of the fantastic wood floors in the hallway to boot!)


I can't tell you what a difference this bath has made to the house.  It used to be the "Can you believe how awful this is?" spot on the tour, but now its one of my favorites to show.  This house has come a long way baby in 14 short months, and we've worked our above-average sized tails off to get it there.  (I shouldn't put the Hubs in that category.  He actually has a very fine backend if you wanted to know.)   But it's all starting to come together now and really feels like the home we had pictured in our minds back when we put in the offer and our realtor thought we were crazy.  Not that its anywhere close to done... but at least we don't look insane for buying it anymore.

So let me have it- what do you think?  Does it fit the modern natural vibe we were going for?  Do you think it is too particular to our tastes, or neutral enough that most home owners would like it?  Anyone else have any fun bathroom remodel stories to share?

PS- If you're interested in the full details of any project, you can check out all these Main Bath posts:


62 comments:

  1. Amanda B.June 25, 2012

    LOVE IT! The sliding door really makes the whole room. I bet you are proud you did it all yourselves! Love how you are bringing the modern without it being cold or sterile. The wood is so nice and warm. I really admire your style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. Seriously! Everything you did in here was perfect! You really made it feel like a nice open space instead of two separate rooms (sink + water closet.) And where is that awesome mirror from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mirror and vanity are from Ikea. I fell in love with the additional ledge (because of less counter space) immediately, but they had me at the $69 price tag.

      Delete
    2. This is the perfect mirror for my bathroom but my style isn't as sleek. Do you think I could easily beef it up with some moulding??

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure Jill. The frame of the mirror sticks out about 4" from the wall, so you definitely wouldn't want to frame out the outside edge. Perhaps you could frame out the part that touches the wall, but that might make the part that sticks out look funny. If you do it, please let me know how it looks. I'm super curious now...

      Delete
  3. AnonymousJune 25, 2012

    OOOH! This one is my favorite bathroom of yours too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! The shoji-like door takes the room to a whole different level of craftsmanship. and thanks for including a picture from the laundry room, as I was missing it (it's my favorite place, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looks amazing!! Love the lights under the vanity, the sliding door, rug, okay, fine, I love everything! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous bathroom - I love it! But what guides the bottom edge of the door as is closes? Does the dowel only hold it when it's open? Sorry, for all the questions - just in awe of your work and curious :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. The dowel is located in the center of that wall, just immediately to the left of the door opening so its not in the way. I built the wall, and the door to the exact size so that the dowel would stay under the door no matter what position it is in. (Its on the far right side of the door when the door is open, and on the far left side of the door when it's closed.) That way the door always glides along the "track" on the top and bottom. Does that make sense? It took a lot of thought on the front end, and to be honest I was shocked when my measurements and everything seemed to work out perfectly the first time. I had to close my eyes when Hubs was putting in the door because I couldn't stand to watch. :)

      Delete
  7. That is genius! Well done you. It looks fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lights under the vanity are so amazing, pinning them now, I think my husband would be totally on board with this idea for an upcoming project!

    congrats on the YHL feature:)

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great makeover! The new look is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found you via YHL! Love your bathroom!!

    Question on the floating vanity... I am also going to use the same vanity in my remodel, but was going to use the legs. I like this look SO much better! Can you please explain how you attached it to the wall?? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was really simple. There are 6 brakets on the inside of the vanity that you can use to attach it to the wall. We made sure to mark where the studs were located on the wall before we tiled. Here's the post all about it: http://oneprojectatatime.blogspot.com/2012/04/69-all-for-vanity.html

      Delete
  11. What did you do with your walls and the texture finish? It looks like they are now smooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately no good news here- they were beyond saving so we torn down all the sheet rock in the entire room and started over. It was exhausting, but totally worth it.

      Delete
  12. Where are the shelves over the toilet from? Your bathroom is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the "before" was better. :) KIDDING!! Great work. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one amazing transformation! Nice job, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am just shocked at the transformation - you guys did a wonderful job. I love the open look/feel and the natural wood....beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just read all the posts on this bathroom. Oh my God, you are awesome pants.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That turned out gorgeous! We have three future bathroom remodels ourselves.

    What is the wall color in your laundry room? It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Martha Stewart's Rainwater. It's one of my fav colors- here's the post all about it- http://oneprojectatatime.blogspot.com/2011/04/72-under-my-umbrella-ella-ella.html

      Delete
  18. Just saw you on YHL...great job!!! Can't wait to check out the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous!!! I love how calming the room is now! You are welcome at my house to remodel my bathroom anytime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice! Can you tell me what brand of sliding door hardware that you used and where you bought it?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To make it affordable I just used a sliding bifold door hardware I found at Menards. I don't remember the exact brand, but a 8' track was only $29.99.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I live in St. Louis and the nearest Menards is about 90 miles away in Effingham, IL. I'll keep looking.

      Delete
    3. Bummer. I know that Home Depot has them too, they are just a bit more expensive, closer to $50-$75. Still loads cheaper than the $300+ barn door hardware and tracks you can find online though. I do love the exposed hardware look those provide, but luckily for my design I felt that the understated track would work better. (Cheaper = Good!)

      Delete
  22. Love your new bathroom-congrats! After looking the rain tiles, though, I kinda like them (anyone else??) Not the way they were laid-out in the 'before,' but I do like the color/design of the tiles--they give me a Japanese-style vibe . . . perhaps they could work all in one row near the top of the shower wall? But I digress. LOVE the sliding door, especially how it goes all the way up the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on the YHL feature, Erin! How exciting!!

    Erin @ The Great Indoors

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks great! Can you tell me where you purchased your sconces for either side of the vanity mirror? I've been looking for an affordable version of something like those and I'm curious where you found yours!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We picked them up at Home Depot- just $39 a light!

      Delete
  25. I love your floating shelves above the toilet. I have seen them all over hgtv but I cant find them anywhere. Can you tell me where your purchased them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Could you please explain the hidden dowel in the sliding door? I don't understand how the dowel works.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27.  Wow! You really did a beautiful job! I love how bright & fresh everything looks. What an improvement. 

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love the style..its so simple but very elegant to look at.. you really did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  29. your batroom is looking amaaaazing. This turned out fantastic, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice bathroom look and decor love to read this post

    ReplyDelete