April 14, 2011

#88- 3-2-1 BLAST OFF!

The process of buying our dream house is taking FOREVER!  (You can read about here.)  So as time dragged on, I couldn't control myself, I had to get started.  I'm neurotic like that.  I rationalized that since we definitely wanted to have Ryder's room done as soon as possible when we moved in, (so that the little bug could feel comfortable in his new home right away), it wouldn't hurt to start on the furniture for his new room.  Plus, I get to check the first item off The List- #88.

Here's where I give my first of what I'm sure will be many shout outs to my hero Ana White at ana-white.com.  Prior to reading Ana's site I had never built furniture before, and quite honestly never would have attempted it.  Ana's clear and easy to follow instructions make it all seem like a piece of cake though, and her thrifty way of using cheep pine boards to create a huge impact on a tiny budget are right up my alley.  I started with a few of her easier plans, like this one:

Bench I built for my cousin's nursery with this tutorial.
Once you get the hang of it, and you make your first $30 bed frame that sells for $299 for example, it's like an addiction.  I go shopping at home stores and am constantly annoying other shoppers by saying outloud to myself, "I could totally build that."  So when I stumbled upon Ana's awesome plans for this Rocket Book Shelf, I couldn't wait to get started on one for Ryder's Robot themed big boy room.  

So when we got news that a big, final snow fall of the winter was headed to Minnesota, and I knew that my hubby was going to be gone all weekend working, I packed up Ryder and we headed down to my parents house in small town Northfield Minnesota for the weekend to get snowed in.  (City of Cows, Colleges and Contentment- true story!)  My Dad has an amazing indoor work shop in his basement, as well as a wine cellar,  and I can't think of a better place to be stranded in a blizzard then somewhere I could build in warmth and comfort, and then enjoy a glass of red wine to celebrate.  (Or more, I'm just saying...) Plus, I got to spend some great time learning from my Dad while my Mom spent some quality time with Ryder.  Everybody wins!

Speaking of everybody wins, here's how it looks so far:



Little Man showing off his "Buzz Lightyear Shelf"
I still need to put a back on it and paint it, but so far so good.  I actually have a bunch of second hand furniture pieces I'm planning to paint for Ryder's room to make them all look cohesive, so stay tuned for that. 

Anyone else ever tried building any of their own furniture?  Or maybe you subscribe to Ana-White and gawk at the amazing plans, but haven't yet gotten the courage to take them on? I have this simple lap table bookmarked to build for the loft, this double lounger for the Master Deck, and this outdoor sectional for the Screened in Porch.  I told you it was an obsession...

No comments:

Post a Comment