July 19, 2013

Our New Project

Hi Friends- let me introduce you to our new project.


No, we're not moving, although we might be spending most of our time here.  This little guy is our new family cabin that my parents recently purchased.  In Minnesota, the locals all go "Up Nord'" for the weekends in the summer to enjoy our beautiful lakes.  This sweet little lake home was a long time dream of my parents, a place where our whole family can spend time together, the kids can learn to swim, catch fireflies and grow up together.

And it's a dream for the Hubs and I too, because it's a heap of projects. Let me give you a little tour.  Here's a shot back at the front door.  Or at least where the front door is right now... (more on that later.)


This place was built in the sixties, and from the looks of it it's been frozen in time since the seventies.  We bought the place furnished, which means we have a whole lot of seventies love to embrace (or give the boot to.)  The good news is that it's a great open concept.  Just off the Dining Room is the Kitchen.


The cabinets are in great shape and hold a bunch of storage.  They just need a little dose of 2013.

 

The Kitchen opens right up to the Living Room.


Wow.  What do I even say about this look at this crazy patterned nightmare. 


 Has there ever been a couch as bad as this guy we inherited?  Seriously- my couch will challenge your couch to an ugly duel.


 Look at all that nice open space.  (Just try to ignore the crazy.)



If we didn't have enough wallpaper in the Living Room, the bedrooms are about to give us a run for our money.



This room came complete with a strange little medicine cabinet-esk built in nook.  We'll try to make it work.


Here's hoping that poorly installed wallpaper makes it come off easier.


Alright my friends, so far this tour has been pretty mild-mannered, but prepare to overt your eyes.  Here's the bathroom.


Wall paper and curtains and lighting... oh my!


We've got swag.


Frightened yet?  Let's head down the hallway to the other bedroom.


Get the steamer- we have more wallpaper.


It's a woodland creatures explosion!





Lucky for me, my favorite room is wallpaperless.  This great little screened in porch off the kitchen.



I'm imagining some type of couch that doubles as a bed out here (daybed, futon, pull-out?) so we can relax out here during the day and enjoy the cool breeze at night.


We've got a lot of fun projects ahead, which you'll see mixed in now into our regularly scheduled home improvements.  I can't wait to get started!

Congratulations Mom and Dad!





4 comments:

  1. Erin, I'm so jealous! What a fun blank slate to get cranking on! Excited for progress shots.
    xo
    Charlotte @ Ciburbanity

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure this qualifies as "Up Nort" as it's really central. You should join us even further "Nort" sometimes....where mosquitoes are as big as hummingbirds and the "Uff Da's" are in every sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I can't wait to see what you do with all this new space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin! I LOVE this place!! The wallpaper in the bedrooms could be a scarey project....what's under it might just peel off with the paper!! Sheetrocking anyone?? BUT, I LOVE the bathroom!! (Kidding...I DO like the layout and the cabinets..see there is even a step up to get in the bathtub, great for the kids too). However, I swear I have seen that wallpaper pattern before! (Back in teh 80's). Congratulations to your folks on a great lakehome! I am jealous also!!

    ReplyDelete