August 20, 2013

Rock the Dock

We did it!  We've moved our crazy cabin projects outside!  With the wallpaper in the Living Room looking much better, I've resigned myself to putting on blinders in the bedrooms and bathrooms, and focusing on the beautiful outdoors.  And as some of you may know, the most important outdoor element of a cabin is the dock.  Your connection to the water.  Your springboard to fun. 


Okay, yeah.  Ours leaves a little to be desired.  We were able to purchase this very used dock for a good price, but as we've learned with everything the key to a good deal is a lot of work and elbow grease.

Step 1 was just getting this bad boy in the water.  The hubs and I rented a trailer and hauled this guy in 2 huge 4'x16' pieces.  I wish I had taken photos, but I was far to scared that we were going to loose a dock off the side of the road to pose.  I've got to get better at the photo taking- I promise, I'm working on it!  Once we arrived at the cabin my brother helped us get the 2 big pieces off the trailer and put back together.


Then there was a lot of work trying to get the poles and fittings, which likely haven't moved in over a decade, to budge.  We used sand paper, scrapers and even olive oil, until eventually they could be adjusted to the right height.


When we finally felt comfortable with our adjustments, we hauled the guy in.
Looking at all those weeds along the shore makes me tired...
Ryder had been jumping at the bit all morning to get on this guy, so when we finally got it in the water we took a moment or two to celebrate.


That, my friends, is what it's all about.

Unfortunately there's a lot more work where this guy is concerned.   More to come!


1 comment: