April 17, 2014

Cabin Bedroom Updates

The tricky thing about this cabin reno we're working on, is staying realistic.  I could spend hours online looking at photos of gorgeous, lake front retreats.  Obviously we want our place to have a homey, lived in, heritage-filled vibe, but we also need to keep this affordable.  We always seem to come back to the reminder phrase "It's just a cabin." But at the same time when you are putting the work in, you want it to be worth all the hard work, and make it like the place you've been dreaming of.   I've been learning that the solution is to take our time, and keep our eye out for the right (read: on clearance) things.


That's why we worked like crazy to rid our cabin bedroom of wallpaper...


But we left it with boring white walls and generic bedding...


I just hadn't found the right deal yet.  Luckily, West Elm came through in a big way.


After virtually stalking this bedding set, and others, online for months, I found the duvet in the clearance section for just $39, and the shams for just $9.99.  I picked up enough shams to also tie in the twin bed in the room, bringing us from this:



To this:


For now I think we can make this navy comforter work with the addition of a couple pretty shams and a cozy throw.



I've got more work to do on that built in shelf, but at least we're off to a good start here of family photos. A cabin sunset, my brother and I as kids with my Mom, Ryder's first time fishing, my parent's first photo together as teenagers and the first jump off the dock seem like a pretty epic collection of memories.  I'm keeping my eyes out for the perfect items to round out the collection. 


While the curtains and an old black and white framed photo help fill the space now, ultimately I plan to build a new headboard to really become a focal point in the space.


Something like this amazing inspiration from Little Yellow Barn would help with the issue of adding lights, but not having room for end tables.


I'd also love to add something over the wall of the twin bed.


Maybe some homemade painted paddles like these, hung horizontally?


Projects like those are always nice because I can work on them at home in the evenings.  The other trick to the cabin reno is getting just a few days every couple of weeks to work on it.  With our home reno I could go home every night and knock out a project or two. (Which was insane, mind you, but that's just our brand of crazy.)  This one is a test in patience however- not a strong suit of mine.  So projects I can work on at home and then deliver up to the cabin fully completed are a really nice way of appeasing my overzealous Type A personality.

This beautiful (and affordable) bedding is one step in the direction of a layered, vintage, cozy vibe we're trying to embrace up at the cabin.  We want it to feel like the materials and furniture within it might have been around for generations, but are also modern and fresh looking.  With any luck, we'll have a great combination of both.


No comments:

Post a Comment