August 25, 2014

Replacing the Carpet


I've mentioned from the beginning that this cabin reno was all about smart, affordable choices.  We're being really careful with the projects we tackle up here, and perhaps more importantly, with the money we spend.  This is a second home after all, and "just a cabin." (But really you guys, really, it's SOOOO much more than just a cabin!) So although recently we've had a bunch of big, higher end upgrades (New counters! New sink! New floors!) those budget splurges are a rare treat in the grand scheme of this overhaul.

In the category of "More Frugal Projects," is our recent carpet update.  To lay our gorgeous new wood floors throughout the main living space, we removed carpet from the Living Room and Dining Room (because we have children and that carpet under the table didn't stand a chance.) Both of those carpets were new and in great condition, they just didn't work with the space.  So we found them each a new home. 

You may recall that I recently spent hours of my life that I will never get back tearing out the shagtastic carpeting in our back bedroom.  (Labeled Bedroom 2)  You know, when I pulled up the stinky, old brown shag to reveal the jaw droppingly ugly green shag below?


And once I pulled all those layers of shag out, I had this nasty linoleum underneath? 



Well, once we removed this big chunk of new carpet from the Living Room:


We had installers lay it, with a new carpet pad, in Bedroom #2.


Obviously we have a pretty plain blank pallet here, but you guys- that's a success!  Remember when it looked like this?



Whoa!  I can't wait to start decorating this room.  But in the mean time, let's have another look at that beautiful, non-shag, non-moldy, non-stinky "new" carpet.


Our third bedroom got a carpet update too.  As you may recall, this is the new bedroom that we built where the old entryway of the house used to be.  So it sported this fun little splash of linoleum.


With a pretty wicked gold threshold separating the spaces.  (I swear that thing was attached with Super Glue.)



So I tore out the carpet in this room:


And then wrestled with the threshold for a longer period of time than I'd like to admit:


Until I had this nice, level surface:


Then we took the carpet that we removed from the Dining Room, and had it installed in this room, with a new pad.


You'll have to forgive me as this room is hard to photograph.  Obviously the biggest change still coming for this room is the removal of the door, and putting a window in it's place.  Once that's done this room will finally look like a bona fide bedroom. 

Here's a look from that soon-to-be-window back at the bed.  We've got some furniture placement and decor to figure out here.


We had the company that was out installing our new wood floors install the carpet at the same time, which saved money.  All we had to pay for was the new pad and labor.  I'm feeling pretty proud of our little switcher-roo if I do say so myself.  We didn't have to dump more into a landfill, we just reused what we had, and now have two newly carpeted bedrooms to show for it!  This little project is trucking along!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! You give me a lot of ideas for my house! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete