July 5, 2011

#105- Modern Lodge Loft

Now that Bath Crashers is gone we can finally start moving stuff from the garage into our house, and get on with the business of trying to make this house a home (the producers had asked us to keep our Master Bedroom and Loft area completely clear of all furnishings to provide them with the maximum space possible to work).  I started with the Loft, mostly because the Master Bedroom is too much work for me to fathom right now.  For those of you still confused by my new home's crazy layout (I still am), the Loft is a small space located just above the Foyer on the way up to the Master Bedroom, and can be viewed from the Living Room. 
The Loft as seen from the Living Room
This space was sold as a home office in the listing, and the photos looked like this:


Maybe it's just me, but I might have cleaned off the desk a bit and closed the drawers before shooting the listing photos. But you know me, I'm obsessive like that.

To the Hubs and I, a messy office space on the way up to the Master Bedroom felt like anything but the calm and relaxing area we were hoping for.  Since we already planned to place our desk in the Guest Bedroom, we thought that this would be much better suited for us as a quiet reading area (we're not trying to be pretentious by having a "reading nook," as we both do quite a bit of reading and would love a private oasis to do so - but yes, you'd be justified to make fun of us). On inspection day, the room looked like this:

Diggin' that rock bed in the ledge?  I know I am.


And now it looks like this:



The great wood paneled ceiling in this space inspired us to incorporate the Modern Lodge look:


The bookcase might change a ton still. After all, this house still is a work in progress.



These little cardboard friends were a Father's Day present to the Hubs this year.  Whenever we searched the internet for Modern Lodge inspiration we would come across different modern twists on the traditional deer or moose head.  Since you would never catch me alive with a dead animal head hanging from my wall (seriously, it's a dead animal people), I was more than happy to embrace this  fun and quirky variation.

As much as we'll miss the rock beds and ergonomically designed office chairs that previously graced this space with their presence, we're excited about the new, comfortable modern feel.

13 comments:

  1. Can I come over and read in your cozy reading nook?? LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 05, 2011

    I think that you ought to ask your followers for suggestions on what to do with the empty planter box space. Since I am a plant lover, I can envision individually potted African violets, they need very little care, indirect lighting, and only need watering about once every 3 weeks. They would provide that serene tranquil environment in your reading space. Guess who???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should fill the empty rock ledge with ice and Summer Shandys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Morgie....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's on- any one else with suggestions on what we should do with the now empty rock wall? While plants might add a nice natural touch, there could be a lot of fun had with a drink rail/beverage cooler here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly JensenJuly 05, 2011

    Hi Erin......we have never meet, but I went to high school with your husband, and your Jason did a ride along with my Jason a while ago. Anywho....I am loving your DIY projects. I would have to say you have inspired me to tackle my own DIY headboard. Having a design background, I would be the first to tell you that I would probably run out to West Elm and purchase one without thinking! Hopfully I will be as handy and successful as you guys are. Looking forward to seeing all of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love what you did with the nook! My husband and I are currently renovating our 1960 ranch! It's been fun so far!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kelly- great to meet you! We've got a DIY Headboard project coming up for the Master Bedroom too. My hero Ana White from ana-white.com has a pattern for the West Elm Low Wood Cutout that I can't wait to tackle! If you feel like bragging when it's all said and done, send me the pics via email (contact us) and we'll do a Reader-Made post! I could use the brake from making my own projects to brag about others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Rachel- Your ranch has so much potential! I can't wait to see what you do with the place! I'll add you to the blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found you from the YHL site. Not to just pop in with an opinion, but since you asked...Since it's a reading nook, I can totally see using the ledge for book storage. Your son's books would look especially cute all interspersed (sp?) with the "grown-up" ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carrie- I love that idea! It's a little too small width-wise for books at the moment, but you've got my mind turning with ideas....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those paper taxidermy heads are fabulous. Adds so much personalitiy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually, that just depends on which way you turn the books. It might take some styling to get them to fit end-to-end long ways, but I am sure you could make it work! I've seen your magic!

    ReplyDelete