May 29, 2013

Installing the Wet Bar-Part 3

Let's finish up this wet bar project just in time for summer, shall we?  Last week, I left you with this:


 With the base of the bar built and ready, it was time to add a counter top.  We decided to go with a dark wood to match the built in cabinets on the other side of the room.


I picked up an oak butcher block counter top from Ikea- the same one I used for our Laundry Room remodel.  Unfortunately they no longer sell these in the cheaper and would-have-been-perfect 4 foot length, and I had to get a full 8 feet.



First step was to cut this baby to length.


I've got the wood propped up here with a couple of 2x4s underneath each side, and my saw blade adjusted to be just deep enough to go through the counter, but nothing else.

Then I had to notch out some of the edges to make it fit perfectly.  One of my favorite tricks is to use a piece of paper, and notch out your paper first to perfectly fit the corner.  Then you can just use your paper as a template to trace a cut line onto your piece. Like so:



I fastened the counter to the cabinet and support wall I made with hardware provided by Ikea.  Once the counter was on the cabinet, it was time to cut a hole for the sink.  We picked up a small bar sink from Ikea as well, and the instructions said to flip over the sink and trace it onto the counter, then to measure 1/2" in and draw your cut line.



I drilled a pilot hole with a big drill bit to get started, and then used a Jig Saw to carefully and slowly cut my opening.  Luckily this isn't an undermount sink, so it didn't have to be perfect.


Ka-pow!

I also drilled a hole for the faucet, my insulated keg line, and the beer tap drain.  Once everything was cut into the countertop, I removed it all and got my stain on.  I used the same Minwax Jacobean as we used on the built ins, and in three coats I had this:


 Next I had to test my patience and apply 7 coats of poly to protect this counter long term.  Trust me, all I wanted to do was connect all the plumbing and finish with this reno already, but you never regret spending extra time on the finish.  Has anyone else used butcher block in their home lately? Any insider tips I should know?  I'm a big fan of the affordability and beautiful looking finish, I'm just hoping it continues to look this good for the long haul.  Speaking of long haul- can we finish this project already?



No comments:

Post a Comment