Not long after getting our new entry way bench set in it's new home:
We started to get this nagging feeling. The "You know what would be better? If there was an actual entryway..." feeling. And then the Hubs went and did this.
That's his, "What? Me?" face? No turning back now. I guess it's time to make room for the new door. After a few minutes of demo we discovered that this wall would put up a little more of a fight than we intended. It had a crazy collection of studs and wires secretly enclosed within it.
Boo for home improvement surprises. You never know what you're going to find lurking behind the walls, but for the record, this is what you don't want to see. Which means in order to get it re-framed, we had to open up a little more of the wall than we intended. Good thing it was a nice day out.
Don't worry, those electrical lines look menacing, but they're all dead and harmless.
And so the rest of the day became: Operation Close the Wall Back Up So Wildlife Can't Enter Our Cabin While We're Sleeping. I'm not going to lie- it was one of those soul crushing DIY days when the project is way more intense and complicated than you signed up for. But what did we expect? We were cutting a hole in the side of our house.
For those of you interested in the Cabin's new side entrance, let me explain. Main door is currently very understated and located at the far left side of the cabin. Besides the sidewalk and steps that lead to it, there's not much happening here, and it's pretty off balance.
We are guessing that the front door was moved when the far left of the house was converted from a porch to interior space that was then the Dining Room and Den, and is now our Dining Room and Third Bedroom. The current door just feels like an after thought. But after 2 days of hard work (and one night of boarding the hole shut because we hadn't finished yet), our main entrance looks like it's always belonged here in it's new home:
Here it is all closed off back on the inside.