May 23, 2014

Door Updates

There's one thing I didn't mention in the last post about our new front door.  Can you spot it?


Let me give you a hint.




We have a "new" floor.  During the demo of our exterior wall, we noticed that there was an interesting, blue painted wood floor below our carpet.  We're fairly certain that this side of the cabin used to be an exterior porch of some sort, and these painted blue floors match some of the painted blue window frames we found in the wall.  So we pulled up a little of the carpet, and before we knew it, we had adios'ed the whole thing.



While this cute, rustic blue wood floor is really fun and achieves that vibe we're looking for, unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to keep it.  This flooring is only under the Entryway and the Dining Room, not the Kitchen and the Living Room that connects to it.  Plus, the Kitchen has 2 layers of linoleum, one of which we've confirmed is asbestos, so we can't pull it up and disturb it.  Which means our best bet is to lay new flooring over the top of all of it, making it one cohesive space like our plan below.


But in the mean time, it's a fun element to add to the room.  And it certainly makes meal time clean up with a toddler easier not to have carpet under the table.



Then things started to look even better after a coat of primer on the paneling.  So fresh and so clean, clean!



I cut and painted the trim out in the garage while I applied coats 1 & 2 of paint to the walls.  The next morning I attached the trim and touched up the nail holes.  And then I did a happy dance.


I'm so excited about how this space turned out.  There is more than enough room to enter and take off your coat without crowding the table.  Even though there is still a lot to do, the space is finally starting to take shape.



I keep catching myself looking at the photos on my phone.  All times of the day.  I can't get enough.  I'm excited to get back up there and give some more love to this little cabin that could.  I hope you all have a great holiday weekend too!

No comments:

Post a Comment