Here's the part where I come clean. I took the easy way out when re-staining the bed frame, and really only stained the part that you see. So even though it looks great above, here's what it looks like when I take the bed off.
Yep, nothin' but class here at One Project at a Time. I'm busy ok? I don't have time to make the part that will never be visible look good. My plan was working great until I showed you all. Dangnabit. (Sometimes I like to curse like an 80 year old man, you know, just to keep it fresh.) Anyway, I started by removing the 1 x 2's that run the length of the bed on either side that prop up the box spring.
I'm sort of embarrassed to keep showing you these pics of my half a$$ craftsmanship, but I like to keep it real with you all, so try to keep the judging to a minimum. The screws came out like a cinch, but the wood glue made removing these guys a little tricky. Nothing that a chisel couldn't handle though. Next I took the 1x2's out into the garage to cut off a few inches on each end, since when I reattach these pieces to the lowest possible spot on the frame, the chunky bed legs are in the way and makes the available space smaller. I swear I also took a photo of cutting these in the garage that would help you visualize it better, but I'm downright ashamed of the mess in my garage right now, and I'm already walking a fine line between DIYer and horder with you all...
So let's skip ahead to the part where I brough my pieces back upstairs and reattached them to the lowest possible spot on the bed frame, flush with the bottom so that it couldn't been seen from underneath.
|I rotated the 1x2 so that the same side that touched the frame before (with all the dried glue on it) didn't touch it again to make sure I had a new, firm adhesion.) Haha, that sounded naughty.|
If you're still with me at this point in the post, you should work for the military in decoding. So let's get to the grand finale. After I let the glue dry for a little bit, I put the bed back together and- viola!
No more box spring. It still shows a little bit when the covers are pulled back, so I'll likely get a dark blue fitted sheet to cover the boxspring thanks to Betsey's advice, like this link she posted in the comments- http://pinterest.com/pin/35894193/. Or maybe something with a pop of a complimentary color, like a deep purple or rusty orange. We'll see where this all goes when we finally start to fill the room with some furniture, art and personal touches.