May 13, 2011

#60 Part 1- "Well hello there yellow and gray fabric..."

That was me as I ran through JoAnn Fabrics the other day to pick up a zipper for our busted couch cushion.  I was totally minding my business, heading straight for the notions section, and I pass this little lovely on the end cap:


"Wow, and you're 60% off too.  You saucy little minx..."

Now that I have you all thoroughly concerned for my well being that I talk dirty to my fabric, I'll try to maintain my dignity for the rest of this post.  The fabric was exactly what I had in mind for our gray and yellow themed Guest Bedroom, and looks a lot like these beauties from Target that I've had my eyes on.


Not a great photo from Target.com BTW, in reality these pillows are the same color yellow.
Those pillows are $24.99 each though, and even though I admit that this is a good price at a discount store, I still can justify throwing 50 bones at two pillows.  Maybe I'm cheap, but we have a lot of rehab to do in this house, and I can't throw all my cash at decor. 

So I threw the fabric in the cart and ran back to notions for some piping, which they just happened to have in the perfect color.


Of course I totally forgot about the zipper I came in for, but let's focus on the task at hand people. I headed to the check out where my two-thirds of a yard of fabric, on sale for 60% off, and the piping was a whooping $3.17.  Cue mini-celebration dance at register.


Once home I grabbed a spare pillow form from a red throw pillow that was on our old guest bed that I knew we wouldn't use again.  I actually had a lot more fabric than I thought, so I grabbed a memo board and did a little fist-pump when I realized I was going to get both a pillow and a memo board out of my $3.17 fabric.  (More on the memo board later.)


For the pillow all I needed to do was cut my fabric into two equal sized rectangles.   Then I laid out the piping on the "good" side of the first piece, pinning it on tight like so:



Then I placed the other piece on top like a sandwich, "good side" down, and pinned it secure again.  After a quick run through the sewing machine, sewing as close to the piping as possible, I turned it right-side out, and stuffed the pillow form into the 4 inch gap I left at the bottom, and then hand stitched it shut. 


 


Not bad, eh?  I can't tell if I'm more excited about the great pattern and perfect color match, or the low $3.17 price tag.  Plus I was able to do it all while enjoying a glass of wine one evening after my boys went to bed.  Which sadly, is my idea of a perfect Friday evening these days.  NextI'll give you all the details on the sweet memo board I was able to make to go with it.  Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I just found your blog today! Just wanted to let you know that we are going through almost exactly what you went through right now with a house (in Mendota Heights, MN!)....so your story about buying your house has given me encouragement and hope that it will all work out for us too! I look forward to reading about your progress and hopefully I'll be able to share a happy ending for us as well. When you fall in love with a house that feels like it was meant for you it's SO hard to walk away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie- I absolutely know what you mean. We almost lost The Lodge dozens of times, but we just couldn't let the opportunity slip away. It's the ultimate test in patience! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie- I absolutely know what you mean. We almost lost The Lodge dozens of times, but we just couldn't let the opportunity slip away. It's the ultimate test in patience! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete