Now that all three bedrooms are complete at our Cabin Up North, I've been itching to get them decorated and complete. It's not that easy though, three full bedroom remodels will take a decent amount of cash. Money isn't the only hurdle either, I also really want these rooms to feel well worn and lived in. I don't want them cluttered with stuff, but carefully curated to include items that are useful, while providing a since of history and comfort. Less is more up here, and I want all the things we include to feel like they've been up here for decades.
We've got our new window, but the bedding is currently stark white duvet inserts.
My Mom and Dad stay in this room primarily, and they've both made it clear to me that they don't want any stuffy bedding. My Dad instructed that I couldn't even use a light weight cotton duvet over this white insert, as it gets too heavy. I figured that the resolution was layers. Layers not only look pretty, but they're very useful. You can layer up for cold winter nights, and peel back to a lightweight blanket in the summer.
My mood board highlights ticking stripe bedding, which I love for it's soft but strong utility and vintage look. What I don't love is the price I was finding at West Elm & Pottery Barn. So armed with a handful of coupons, I headed to the fabric store to pick up 6 yards of ticking stripe on sale at half price, plus an additional 25% off. It was like stealing.
My plan was to make 2 shams and 2 large throw blankets to place at the end of each bed. For the shams I used this tutorial. For the blankets I found a soft navy blue fabric for the back, placed the right sides together and basically sewed a giant pillow case.
Then I flipped the blanket right side out, and pinned all around to sew 2 hems, a half inch from each other, to finish it.
The hardest part was just keeping all my fabric flat and smooth. It was pretty simple over all, and I love how the double hem on the edge turned out.
|(Pre-window install- I'm so glad that door got the boot!)|
We folded over the throw on each bed to show a little navy and a little ticking stripe.
We grabbed a couple of navy throw pillow from the screened in porch, which look good in front of our simple sham. I still need headboards for this room, but I think you're starting to get the idea.
You may have also noticed that we added a couple of roman shades to the room. These Real Simple wireless roman shades add the privacy, darkening and thermal lining we were looking for, all with a really clean design. They look great in both windows, even though the windows are both really different, tying them together.
The coolest part is how they raise though. You just give them a slight tug, and they go up slowly by themselves. We tricked the kiddos into thinking it was magic. Because lying to your kids for entertainment is fun.
So we're making progress. Next up is headboards and artwork, and then down the road we'll work on doing a fun paint treatment to those nightstands.
So that's how I got ticking stripe blankets and shams at a fraction of the price of one duvet. It's starting to come together!